Multiple Instances: How to Allow?

I would like to have multiple instances of terminal running on my desktop but when I try to start a second instance no new window is opened.

A related problem occurs if I use consoles at F1 thru F6. When I return to F7 Gnome has logged out even though the screen lock is off.

A solution to either or both of these problems would make multi-tasking much easier.

PS Have I joined the right mailing list. The last entry in the archives is Oct 2014. Is anyone out there?