From: LUG Radio <lugradio gmail com>
To: LugRadio <show lugradio org>
Cc: Thomas Wood <thos gnome org>
Subject: Gnome at LugRadio Live UK 2008
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 22:52:40 +0100

Hi Thomas

As you exhibited at a previous LugRadio Live, I thought I'd get in touch
to see if you'd be willing to come back again this year.

As you may or may not be aware, after a successful LugRadio Live USA in
April 2008, LugRadio Live returns to the UK in July of this year at the
University of Wolverhampton Students Union, the same place we held it in
2006. The event will be happening on the 19th and 20th July 2008, and
will once again provide the unique atmosphere in the
slightly-less-than-glorious-but-we've-gotten-used-to-it-all-the-same
Wolverhampton. LugRadio Live has developed a strong reputation for
providing a range of topics about free software, Open Source, digital
rights, technology and more, a compelling list of speakers, exhibitors
and birds of a feather sessions, and wrapping it all in a unique, fun,
loose, social and inclusive event, which is often described as combining
the atmosphere of a rock concert and a computer conference.

At LugRadio Live UK 2008, our fourth annual event, we plan on serving up
another helping of this unique atmosphere by inviting around 30
speakers, a full cast of exhibiting projects and companies, an eclectic
range of BOF sessions and plenty of additional sessions such as our
debate discussion panel, a showcase of five minute talks, tech demos,
and of course a live recording of LugRadio in front of an audience. We
expect around 350 - 500 attendees to the event.

Anyway, to the business in hand...

As mentioned, we'll be having an exhibition area where we want to have
projects and companies who do cool things. In the past we've had open
source projects showing off their work such as KDE, Gnome, FreeBSD and
Ubuntu, companies who work with Linux like Neuros, and distributors like
Sun, Red Hat and Novell so we're interested in a good mix of .orgs and
.coms. We were wondering whether you'd be interested in having an
exhibition stand at the event this year? Exhibitor space is free; we
don't charge, because LugRadio Live is a community event. The focus is
on people having a great time, not in making money :-) We'd like it if
your exhibition stand could be something fun and interactive, rather
than just a table with leaflets and advertising, but hey, leaflets and
promotion are important too.

It is free to exhibit, power will be available to exhibitors and we are
still working out whether the venue will allow us to use their network.
Traditionally, we don't put too much emphasis on getting a network but
we're a community based volunteer event and our budget is better spent
on hiring equipment that means you can hear out speakers and giving you
a roof over your head if it rains.

Another thing: as part of the event, we provide each attendee with a
registration bag, containing some free items from different
organisations. We try to keep the items in this bag as interesting as
possible, and in the past this has included pens, badges, software,
clothing and more. If you'd like to contribute something to the bag this
year for LugRadio Live UK 2008, we'd be happy to include it. Both the
goodie bag and an exhibition stand are excellent ways for you to be
associated with a strongly community and Open Source focused event, and
the demographic it attracts. For the bag, we will need 500 of whatever
you choose to contribute, and all you need to do is ship them to us,
there is no charge in addition to sending the items - we will add them
to the bags ready for the event. Alternatively, you can give us some
bigger, cooler stuff, maybe just a few of them, which we can give away
as prizes to our attendees. LugRadio Live is all about getting cool
people involved and to reward them with cool stuff for being part of it.

Also, our call for speakers is open now, so if you'd like to talk, the
details on how to submit your talk are available from
http://lugradio.org/live/UK2008/callforpapers

LugRadio Live in the UK has developed a strong reputation for being
'the' community event in the UK, and we're keen to continue this
tradition. We would love if you could be one of the organisations who
helped make this happen. :)

At this stage, we're just starting all of the hard work that goes into
the event, but we'd like to hear from you if you'd like to exhibit your
project or organisation at LRL UK 2008. If you're not the right person
to ask about attending, we'd be grateful if you could either pass it on
to the right person for us or get back in touch to let us know who to
contact.

You can check who is speaking and how the event is shaping up by
checking http://lugradio.org/live/UK2008/

Any questions or queries, feel free to drop us an email in reply to this
email, and we really hope you can be a part of the event. :)

Thanks!

Adam Sweet and the LugRadio Team