Re: Hyphen, space or neither?

Wonderful analysis there, David!

On Wednesday 27 September 2006 09:54, "David Lodge" <dave cirt net> wrote:
> In terms of use as a verb I'd agree with Toby, but I feel that we are
> pandering to the American English tendency to turn nouns into verbs on a
> regular basis: log in should be treated as the verb "log" and the
> preposition "in", rather than the whole thing as a verb.

Treating the verb as one word also wreaks havoc with alternative forms of the
word/phrase. For instance, how is 'login' compatible with phrases like 'logs
in', 'logging in' and 'logged in'?

> Finally, I disagree OUP over "cooperate" and "coordinate", I think that
> they should be hyphenated to aid pronunciation. But that's my own personal
> opinion.

I have always read the first syllables of 'cooperate' and 'coordinate'
as 'coop' and 'coor', respectively. Without a hyphen, they'd might as well be
different words entirely.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan
  {GnuPG/OpenPGP: http://www.dhanapalan.com/yama.asc

"Oftentimes, we live in a processed world -you know, people focus on the
process and not results."
	- US President George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., 2003-05-29