Re: GUADEC 2k7

----- Martyn Russell <martyn imendio com> wrote:
[snip]

> For me this is what could have been better:
>
> - Distance from GUADEC to the villa needed to be closer.

This could be a problem for us - our plans for accomodation (Uni of Birmingham) is about 5 miles from the venue (Conservatoire). However I would plan to have evening events around the accomodation (in Selly Oak, which is cheaper) rather than centre of town (more choice but more expensive).

However, the only unbooked week (two weeks ago), at the Conservatoire, was 14th-21st July, and they still haven't confirmed my booking yet, and I've just heard that that week might clash with Desktop developer conference.

I would prefer to book the venue, and dates, that we presented to the board, however if we there are other options if we have to. One is to use Uni of Brum as the venue as well as accomodation - however it doesn't meet all the requirements (biggest theatre is 300, whereas the requirement is 500).

> - Air conditioning in the hall would have been nice, since I can't
> think
> straight in that heat (this might not be a problem in Birmingham) :)

Given the summer we're having we might have to think about this.

> - More tables and chairs.
> - More power at the tables and chairs.

Check.

> - Better food options for vegetarians.

Since both Thomas and I are veggies you can count on this.

> - Don't use a big tent with fans that make it difficult for speakers
> be heard :)

Not a problem, but it does point the need to get the AV stuff right.

> - Perhaps confirm the talk schedule with all speakers before setting
> it.
> It seemed like some people that had really interesting talks that
> were
> in small over crowded rooms sometimes. Also, some talks were
> scheduled
> for the warm up days which I personally think should have been in the
> core days.
> - If we are going to party as much as we did this year, perhaps start
> proceedings later in the day to allow for people to get up in time
> (and
> maybe don't put on so many talks in one day).

The comment I had was perhaps to do the parties in the opposite order; random food and drinks first night, free nibbles and drinks + GUADEC band second night, and big all nighter on the final night. But since the whole point of Guadec is Beer + Hacking, it's going to be pretty hard to prescribe what people do.

There is so much cool stuff it'd be hard to have less talks by starting later in the day.