Re: Metacity theme config file that contains no menu button?

As far as I am aware, in GNOME 2, the menu button is a user-configurable
option.

See the /apps/metacity/general/button_layout gconf key.

I think themes can specify which button layout they prefer, but they
can't force a user to adopt a particular button layout.