Re: GPLv2 icon with GPLv3+ program

On 20 Jul 2009, at 15:59, Ulrik Sverdrup wrote:

I know this is a gray area, but I want to know if this list, or gnome
artist, have opinions about GPLv2 icons to GPLv3 programs
compatibility.

The default gnome icon theme is released under GPLv2 (only). With my
GPLv3+ program I want to distribute an icon derived from gnome's
default icon theme: I'm taking insert-object.svg and making object.svg
(a blue box, attached).

I combine the GPLv2 icon with my python program at runtime like so:

pixbuf = gtk.gdk.pixbuf_new_from_file_at_size(icon_path, size,size)
gtk.icon_theme_add_builtin_icon(icon_name, size, pixbuf)

Now, is it compatible? Is the icon now "linked" to my program, so I
can not use it?

Slightly tangential, but FWIW we switched gnome-themes to LGPL a few years ago, because it seemed that an icon theme more closely resembled a library than an application. But whole question of if/when/how icons were 'linked' to an application was pretty unclear when we made that choice, too.

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            OpenSolaris Desktop Team