confusion regarding drawing of widgets

hi
    i am really confused, when it comes to drawing widgets.
I studied aurora theme engine and found that it uses cairo apis to draw
widgets.

Also i looked through the source code of Gtk and figured out that gdk draws
using x11 or directfb etc Api's .

So i am confused as who is actually responsible for drawing the widgets. Is
it the theme engine that bypasses gdk and draws directly or its the X11 apis
that are actually doing some stuff.

Also i have one more question, that .gtkrc file contains information about
the color (fg and bg), what else we can configure in .gtkrc file and in
gtkengine module

thanks and regards