Re: Plan to fix icons [was: Re: breakage caused by removed icons from gnome-icon-theme]

<quote who="Federico Mena Quintero">

> On Mon, 2006-02-06 at 13:36 -0600, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
>
> > 6. Create a subpackage of symlinks from the missing icons (the old icon
> > names) to the new icons.  If you don't have a new icon that matches,
> > find the closest generic one, or simply put in the old icon image with a
> > marker to indicate that it needs to be replaced.  See this nice
> > technique:  http://blogs.msdn.com/jensenh/archive/2006/01/10/511202.aspx
>
> To clarify this:  the point above is to make it easy to find cases where
> we *do* have an old-style icon name and image, *and* a way to map it to
> a new-style name, but we *don't* have a Tango-ified image to go with the
> name.

Dude, why are we supporting this *wholly inappropriate* late breakage? This
is not the kind of change that we should meekly accept at this stage of the
release process. We don't *have* to do this, and we *shouldn't* do it. This
is a choice between release discipline and riding a train wreck.

My tough stance on this has *nothing* to do with dobey or quasi-usability
issues raised on Planet GNOME - I fully support doing it at the start of the
next release cycle. But seriously, the *NEXT* release cycle.

Don't get caught on the train wreck,

- Jeff

--
FISL 7.0: Porto Alegre, Brazil        http://fisl.softwarelivre.org/7.0/www/

   "We are peaking sexually when they are peaking. And two peaks makes a
                        hell of a good mount." - SMH