Re: Huston, we have a problem (A.K.A. Threshold vs Fixed in hicolor-0.x theme)

On Thu, 2006-12-21 at 13:38 +0100, Luca Ferretti wrote:
> There are different solutions for this issue, but probably the best is
> force "Threshold=1" for 22x22 and 24x24 directories.
>
> Let me explain the reasons of this choice.
>
>      A. hicolor icon theme is the default icon theme, so it should
>         follow default values from Icon Theme Spec. Of course we can say
>         that default values are wrong (changing the default value for
>         Type from Threshold to Fixed), but by now Threshold is the
>         default.

If the index.theme is actively specifying the Type, then it is not using
the default, it is overriding the default with a specific type.
Threshold is basically a hack to work around the lack of using standard
sizes, in various apps, such as the panel. I think the best solution is
to make any directory where PNG is used for the icons, to be Type=Fixed.

> I don't know what's the correct solution here, I prefer reread the Icon
> Theme spec. In fact, setting Size=48 means that _any_ theme and
> application will have to provide scalable icons at 48 pixels: this is
> the GNOME and Tango icon themes behavior, but, if I'm right, in Oxygen
> icon theme scalable icons are at 128x128 pixels (to respect the value in
> hicolor or to have detailed icons? dunno).

The solution is to specify Size=48 in the index.theme for the scalable
directory. This won't break 128x128 icons, as the icons will get scaled
down to the canvas size. The problem with 48x48 icons with Size=128 is
that the icons are merely placed on the center of a 128x128 canvas, and
then scaled down, rather than simply keeping their 48x48 canvas size.
The simplest solution is therefore to use Size=48, as this means that
all icons above 48x48 will still work properly. This is in fact, the
fix that we ship in SLED and OpenSUSE.

FWIW, the scalable icons in KDE so far that I know, don't follow the
spec anyway, as they are compressed SVG with the svgz extension, while
the spec calls for the svg extension to be used.

> == External Deps ==
>
> Elijah, 'cause the fix for 22 vs 24 pixels icon seems a minor update,
> should we update the hicolor-icon-theme version in ExternalDependencies
> or not?
>
> IMHO not: GNOME will work better with future hicolor-0.11, anyway the
> current 0.10 is the minimum version required to find icons in any
> context.

Why not make it an 0.10.1 instead of 0.11? It's a minor patch.

-- dobey