Re: licenses for themes?

S. Donig wrote:

Hi List,

are there any resources on licenses for themes?
Thanks a lot in advance

Simon

A popular license for artwork is the creative commons license [1]. You can also try releasing themes under other licenses like the GPL[2], however it may be a little more unclear how to apply this to themes and artwork.

While we're on the subject of licensing, does anyone know the official stance on the license of GNOME themes? I've recently had a couple of emails regarding the acceptable use of artwork from art.gnome.org. With Jakub's recent blog [3] about the use of GNOME artwork, perhaps someone could clarify what is and what isn't acceptable?

-Thomas

[1] http://creativecommons.org/
[2] http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html
[3] http://primates.ximian.com/~jimmac/blog/Artwork/Shameless/