Re: [REPORT] gnome-backgrounds & bg capplet

Thomas Wood said:
> On Wed, 2004-11-17 at 14:05 +0100, Luca Ferretti wrote:
>>       * what about SVG images? Take a look to Lila background package on
>>         gnome-look.org
>
> I actually have a SVG version of one of the images in gnome-backgrounds
> at the moment (GNOME Black), however I didn't include it since librsvg
> does not render it the same as inkscape or sodipodi. Also, including SVG
> backgrounds creates a dependency on librsvg which is not yet a mandatory
> dependency within GNOME.

SVG backgrounds do not scale correctly in Nautilus at the moment, bug
#141557 . If you are running the GNOME desktop without nautilus, an SVG
background will work fine... currently, IIRC, all of this has to do with
the way Nautilus does the folder backgrounds and extends onto the desktop
background.

Also, SVG backgrounds wouldn't force a package to have a a librsvg
dependency, really... If designed right, any desktop without librsvg
installed simply wouldn't be able to use the SVG files.

(BTW, judgements based on the way an SVG looks in Sodipodi/Inkscape would
never be admissable in court. ;) )

-Richard Hoelscher
http://rahga.com/svg/