Gedit vs icon theme

I'm preparing a patch against gedit to use the new
gtk_window_set_default_icon_name (const gchar *named_icon)

My intention is to use something like

        gtk_window_set_default_icon_name ("gnome-text-editor");

Of course the gnome-text-editor.png icons are not yet in g-i-t (but
there are stock_edit.png at 16, 24, 32 and 48  :-).

The trouble is that currently the .desktop file uses

        Icon=gedit-icon.png

This entry should be updated to

        Icon=gnome-text-editor

but this will break all icon themes :-( I tried

        Icon=stock_edit[,;]gedit-icon

but it didn't work.

So, waiting for GNOME 3.0 for a breakage or a desktop file specs update,
do you think that copy stock/generic/stock_edit.png files as apps/gedit-
icon.png is now a reasonable workaround?

PS Yes, I said workaround, because IMHO the icon theme should provide
generic named icons for common application: gnome-text-editor.png is a
generic named icon, gedit-icon.png not.

--
Luca Ferretti <elle uca libero it>