gnome-backgrounds module status

I remembered the other day that a while ago this module had been created
in CVS with the intention of packaging some nice wallpapers to
distribute with GNOME.
As far as I know, Mark Finlay created the module and was going to be in
charge of maintaining it. I checked it out and there are a few
translucent backgrounds in there, but that is all.
Sadly Mark will obviously not be able to continue this commitment, so I
was wondering if anyone knew the status of the module. If it is
unmaintained completely, and no one else is eager to take it on, then I
would be more than happy to take on responsibility for maintaining it.
As a suggestion irrespectively, I think it would be nice to have Lapo's
background tiles (www.it.gnome.org/~bat/tiles) in the module, as long as
Lapo doesn't have any objections.

-Thomas