Re: Epihpany icon improvement

Oops, forgot to attach :(

Here it the aforementioned mockup ;-)

On 2003.06.26 15:33, Francis Whittle wrote:
There are in fact other ways to do that (As in, using something other than a mouse pointer).

Clearly a pointing hand is out of the question.

Some examples:
- There could be a cog around the globe (possibly a bad idea due to KDE/Konqueror; Then again we do want a certain [fairly high, IIRC] degree of KDE<->GNOME similarity right?)
- The globe could have a cartoonish "gleam"
- There could be a miniscule document (Or GNOME foot [attached mockup]) whizzing around the globe.

Even something as simple as a slightly thicker and different coloured border could do this.

:-)

On 2003.06.26 05:50, Alex Combas wrote:
On Wed, 2003-06-25 at 10:21, Tuomas Kuosmanen wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-06-25 at 19:35, Alex Combas wrote:
> > 1. XFree allows users to change the mouse pointer and so the mouse > > pointer which is part of the icon might not match the actual users
icon.
> > 2. If the icon matches the mouse pointer we have the problem that
it
> > looks like there are two mouse pointers on the screen.
>
> I just wonder if this is *really* that big of a problem. Only one of
> those mouse pointers move when your mouse moves, so it's pretty
clear
> the other is not the real one but part of the icon.

I didnt say it was that *big* of a problem. ;)

It really boils down to a two part question; will an icon with a mouse
pointer do a better job than one without a mouse pointer; do we mind
having a picture of a mouse pointer on an icon.

I kind of think the Web Browser icon and the Internet icon are two of
the important ones, so a little extra thought to "get it right" is
probably worth the effort.

..but personally speaking Im so borderline on this topic right now
that
I dont want to say which I would prefer because I'll probably change
my
mind tomorrow =)

~Alex