Re: status on improving the icon theme

On Fri, 2003-06-13 at 18:01, Mark Finlay wrote:
> Hey Bill,
>
> I'm not artist so I cannot personally promise to do this work
> but I will try to put my cheerleading power behind it :)
>
> I do however think that we should wait until we have made most
> of the changes we want to make to gnome-icon-theme before we
> change the a11y themes - to avoid wasted work.
>
> > I'd like to request that any proposed changes to our icon themes,
> > particularly those that add new icons or substantially change the
> > "metaphor" of an existing icon (for instance house=="home) PLEASE
> > include high-contrast versions of the modified icons for use in our high
> > contrast themes.
>
> I think that most of the new icons are going to be emblems, and AFAICT
> those aren't included in the a11y themes.

This is a known deficiency of the High Contrast themes.

> As for other icons - I think that a lot of the visible ones in the
> applications menu are either up for replacing or have already
> been replaced. Same goes for the control center.

It's a problem only if the High Contrast icons are not being kept up to
date as part of the changes.  IMO it's not fair to expect the
accessibility team to bear the whole burden for that, it should be part
of the overall effort when icons are significantly changed.

Of course it's not necessary that the High Contrast icons correspond
closely to their regular counterparts (in some cases it's better if they
don't), as long as the result is not confusingly inconsistent to the
user.

best regards,

- Bill