Re: Icon Theme Spec and Cross-desktop Themeing

On Mon, 2003-07-14 at 16:23, Rodney Dawes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is an initial mail to warn you all that I'm working on a
> proposal for updates to the Icon Theme spec, and to solicit
> complaints against the current revision, or suggestions for
> improvement. Currently my proposals exist of the following:
>
> - Adding support for the ~/.themes tree
> - Standardizing names for icons, so that we will actually have
>   cross-desktop icon themes, rather than a buttload of duplicate
>   icons, because they are named differently between kde and gnome

I think this is the most important point and, IMHO, it's the main reason
why icon themes should exist. For example, KDE and GTK/GNOME stock icons
should be the same. There should be one "print" icon, one "previous"
icon, one "next" icon etc... and these icons should be shared by any
tookit on the desktop (including Java, OOO etc...).