[gnome-summary] gnome summary website.

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, Jim Hodapp wrote:
> Also, as far as an official website for GNOME Summary and getting the
> volunteers involved - I think we should put out some somewhat specific
> design goals for the site and then make it a competition.  Put a
> start/stop date on it and then we can maybe even setup an online poll
> where GNOME Summary readers can vote on the best
> design/layout/functionality.  This wouldn't have to be the say-
> all-end-all design but as long as it meets a set of specifications that
> we can come up with, that would make a great starting point.  What do
> you think?

You had to open that can of worms, didn't you? :-)  I've got what I wanted
to write down, but I haven't had chance to send it out due to personal
time constraints.

But I really want to break it apart into short/near-term and long term and
there are some other issues as well in how it's supposed to integrate with
developer.gnome.org.

To address your specific suggestion, that might be alright when we start
talking about long term issues that we want to address.  It also means
that a lot of the current volunteers have to have a lot of time to
actually spend on design from scratch.  From what people have told me
about how much they can spend on this it's about 6-8 hours a week on
average.  So not sure if that works okay for them to do that.  It also
means that people need to use the same technology.

Alternatively, we get a bunch of people working on near term goals,
another working on a magazine format, and I think there is another idea I
have kicking around but that requires more coordination.

But again, all this is vague, and without concrete rules we aren't even
goign to get to square one.

So I hope to write something again today about what I want and we can
debate the merits of that. :-)

But in a nutshell, my short term plans are:

* translation of gnome summary
* submission page for stories
* getting accessibility data from Sun folks
* wrapping translation stats into gnome summary
* legal statements on interviews and what not.

We won't be changing the looks or anything on this run.  I'm a big fan of
KISS and want to make sure that gnome summary continues to be easy to
pick up long after we're gone.  I picked up gnome summary and started
doing it in a day thanks to the wonderfully simple process we have here.
Thats a big plus.  I want to preserve that.

So I hope that makes it clear what I'm looking for short term.  I'll
expand on this later.

sri