Third Party Repositories

Hello,

With GNOME Software now allowing third party repositories, I am wondering how exactly this feature works. I am working with a team to create a Fedora Remix, called TigerOS, that is aimed towards our university students.

The goal of the project is to help new users gain exposure to Linux without needing to be familiar with the terminal. Unfortunately, our university uses a lot of non-free software that cannot be added into the Fedora Project or COPR repos. The ability to be able to search for our packages in GNOME Software would greatly help us so we do not need to create and maintain a parallel installer, leaving the same functionality implemented twice.

What are your thoughts on the feasibility of doing something along the lines of this? Our view on how this will work is:

1. Users install our tigeros.repo within /etc/yum.repos.d
2. Users can then use the GNOME Software center to install our tigeros-* packages.

Please let us know if there is interest in this. The team and I would be glad to work with you.

TigerOS
-------
Website: http://tigeros.ritlug.com

GitHub: https://github.com/RITlug/TigerOS