Re: [gnome-love] Implementing idea for GSoC 2013 - Transfers App

Sorry for the delay in communication. I had some problems with my internet connection and was out of online reach.

In the meantime, I have been brushing up on D-Bus and improving my knowledge of Glib and GTK+.

Before I discuss more and begin my work on the proposal, I would like to know what module(s) can I contribute to for answering the question
" * Please include a link to the bug you fixed for the GNOME module your proposal is related to." ? Since this idea is not specific of a module, I am not sure what to do about it.

And although I haven't contributed to GNOME yet, I have contributed to Pidgin plugins and worked on a  GTK based patch for it as well (under review.. https://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/926 ). So I'm quite familiar with open-source and GTK as well.

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 10:26 PM, Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) <zeeshanak gnome org> wrote:
On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 7:42 PM, M.S. Suraj <mssurajkaiga gmail com> wrote:
> About the bit-torrent protocol support, I asked about yesterday, I would
> like to ask again if it will be added to Transfers as part of its features
> as Download Manager or will it again be implemented as D-Bus interface in
> existing bit-torrent clients with notification in Transfers.

I think the decision will be the same for every case. Transmission
uses gtk+ and is a very awesome torrent client/UI. IIRC it already
even has a D-Bus interface so it might be possible to either modify
that for our needs or add another one to it.

> For former, I
> couldn't find any good bit-torrent libraries based on C ( only
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/libbt/ which again is outdated). I found
> some good C++ based libraries, particularly libtorrent which has lot
> features and is still being developed.

Yet another reason to implement this in apps then.

> Could I also know who will be the mentor(s) for this project?

The wikipage say ebassi so I guess him? It seems you are already in
contact with him too.

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak)
FSF member#5124

--