Re: Implementing idea for GSoC 2013 - Transfers App

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 1:08 AM, M.S. Suraj <mssurajkaiga gmail com> wrote:
Hi,

Hello,

I'm Suraj, an open-source enthusiast from India. I would like to discuss
about implementing the Transfers application idea for GNOME as part of GSoC
2013.

Cool.

Also, I don't think it would be feasible to implement the complete proposed
features of Transfers application by one student as part of GSoC, so I would
like to focus on working on the following after the design is finalized :
1. Implementing a basic framework of the project ie, basically kick-starting
the project.
2. Adding support for independent file downloads/uploads

- By this I mean adding the functionality of "downloading files from a web
location" to the Transfers app. One of the ways to do this would be to use
GNU wget as the back-end and build a GNOME3 based GUI around it. Another way
would be to write the complete back-end itself (and I would prefer this as
this could give the developer more control over the features to be
implemented).

Good ideas but IMO this does not need much implementation as
libsoup[1] makes this very easy for you. i-e no need for wget.

- Support for browser monitoring and automatically fetching simple file
download requests from installed browsers.

3. After completing the above, I would like to implement the notification
service using dbus. This would include adding notification for current and
finished file transfers.

I have covered an important portion of Transfers and would like to discuss
on the detailed implementation ideas and timeline.

There is one important problem pertaining to transfers that need to be
thought out before implementation could be started:
https://live.gnome.org/Design/Apps/Transfers#Comments (2nd point).

Based on that discussion, I would rather this be implemented by apps
themselves and they implement a D-Bus interface that Transfers UI can
use to query apps about their transfers.

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak)
FSF member#5124

[1] https://live.gnome.org/LibSoup