Report : Gstreamer-editing-services : Effects handling : Weekly Report 01

Ok so I subscribed to Gmail to see if that would change anything, I tried to send my report twice last week, did not succeed, talked about that on #soc on GIMPNET but no one looked available, then forgot about that until bilboed reminded me :/

Hi everyone !

I started working on my project before the actual Summer of Code began, and I already successfully compiled the static bindings with a code coverage of about 90 %, wrote the beginning of a test suite for them and a basic example script.

Since then, effects have been merged in GES master, so the .xptv file formatter I had written has got outdated, and since it's a critical component of my project, I decided to update it before going on with the bindings, in the hope of getting a near 100% code coverage.

This has involved some massive refactoring, since I had not clearly envisioned the way the formatter would work with the effects (shame on me ;), and I'm not done yet : effects are integrated, but I still have to re-integrate the transitions properly).

However, work is going well, and I'm not blocked anymore on my way to integrating GES in pitivi, given one of the members of the IRC channel gave me a hand on solving the problem of GST argtypes that were not properly handled by the code generator I use to create the bindings.

By the end of next week, I will surely have finished my work on the formatter (code cleanup, fixing of the tests), and I hope to have solved the GST argtypes problem completely as well (This could be the matter of 2 or 3 hours of coding if everything goes as intended). With some luck, I'll be able to write overrides for the last 10 or 12 functions as well, which will leave me free to attack the real meat of my project, i.e. integration in pitivi proper.

Most of my problems this week were very specific to my project, and I don't think they'd be very useful to anyone.

I join the log of my last commits for my formatter branch to this mail, I hope everyone feels optimistic for his project, and hopefully we'll all make Gnome rock still a little bit more :)