Improvements in GNOME Website - Weekly Report 4

Originally from my blog.

Hello! This is a late summary report for my 4th week on Google Summer of Code. Default fault goes to university, which is disturbing my studies with final tests et cetera. Finally they’re ending! (first week of July is not that close, is it?)

This last week I really wanted to start and finish my second task of GSoC: Create an Applications area in the GNOME website. While I didn’t succeed with my original promise to myself, I got quite a things done (related to the 2nd task or not), which are described in the following list:

Language selector for the GNOME website template

After having all the corners polished in WPPO plugin, I integrated the default GNOME Grass WordPress theme to work together with it. As a result, when someone clicks in footer’s “Swich Language”, an underground area slides up and list all available languages, with links that convert the currently open page to the selected language.

Design the pages for Applications area

The main reason to have an Applications list in the GNOME website is to inform and recommend to end users applications that runs on top of GNOME in a nice and uncomplicated way.

To get this done I did some tests and drew those mockups (click for full size). Lots of contributions and suggestions on making those comes from #gnome-design crew, and lots more from Daniel Siegel, which pointed several interesting considerations (sorry, I didn’t spend my time redrawing the mockups with all of his points — I’m implementing them!).

Implementation of Applications area

Implementing the Applications area on top of the GNOME website requires two pieces of work: doing the html & _javascript_ & css part (and parsing the produced content to render as desired in the template), and group the things together inside WordPress core with custom posts, custom taxonomies and the admin area editing forms.

The first part of this (the client side one) is almost ready. I took some time to study the WordPress behaviors for custom posts, and I’m just working on finishing this to have something to show up.

BuddyPress Community Zone

I installed BuddyPress on my machine to see what I’ll have to do for my task #3 (Create a new area on GNOME website that will focus on Community), and spend a lot of time studying the platform.

BuddyPress is mostly likely the tool I think I’ll use to create this. It already supports user activities (to be able to log all the actions we want, like bug reports, translations, commits and wiki edits) and creation of groups (for local communities). Also, BuddyPress runs on top of WordPress, which makes code pretty much integrated with the existing way of doing things.

During this week #5 I’m planning to fully finish the applications area by implementing all the missing parts, providing at least one application with real content as sample, and start next task by hacking on BuddyPress for real. See you!

--
Vinicius Depizzol <vdepizzol gmail com>
http://vinicius.depizzol.com.br