Re: Contributing to gnome

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 7:20 PM, sarath krishna
<sarathkrishna89 gmail com> wrote:

> Hi
>
>    I am Sarath , third year undergraduate(computer science) student from
> India.
> I am using gnome for last 2 years. Gnome is user  friendly than any other
> desktop
> environment and it is my favourite desktop environment. I really want to
> contribute
> to gnome and to  become a part of gnome community. But i know gnome is
> really
> large and complex so one cannot  hack it in one day. So being a newbie, I
> don't
> know how to start contributing or from where to start. I am familiar with c,
> python
> and pygtk and i am a good programmer. I will be happy if you suggest me what
> can i do or anything regarding this.
>
> --
> Sarath Krishna S
> BTech CS S6

Pick a project that interests you and start reading their code, help
with documentation and bug triaging.   Get a feel for the community
around that application and the developers.  If you have ideas for SoC
talk with the devs and maintainers and see if they're excited about
your idea.  If they are, congrats you may have found a mentor.

Cheers,

Adam