Re: Memory Fragmentation - Weekly Report

<-- Week 5 -->

Hello,

I have finally finished debugging my tools, everything works ok; there was no problem with memview, but with free_size, but it doesn't mater now.

Since valgrind requires packages to be built with -g and -fno-inline, this week I have been trying to rebuild many GNOME packages, but some of them were quite difficult. Actually, in one week I have managed to break my system (Ubuntu 8.04).

I am asking now for some help, because I don't know who to turn to. Before I write about my problems, I want you to know that I used sources from ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/sources/ and ftp://ftp.gnome.org/mirror/gnome.org/sources/ and for some packages which I couldn't get to compile, I used "apt-get source package_name"

1. One problem is when I try to build nautilus, gnome-panel, pidgin, libgnome-desktop: while compiling i get "undefined reference to g_dgettext". I have searched on google and apparently g_dgettext is in the latest glib, which I have successfully installed. Weird ...

2. My second problem is far worse: after rebuilding many packages, I rebooted and noticed a delay while loading GNOME desktop and now the desktop background is black, I cannot right click and nor does it have any icons. Also, the visual interface now looks like it belongs to a very old OS. I guess one of the packages must have caused this, so I used Synaptic to reinstall _all_ GNOME packages, but it wasn't fixed :( What can I do ? Reinstall the whole OS ?

I am asking you for an idea on how to safely rebuild these packages with CFLAGS='-g -O2 -fno-inline'.

Regards,
Andrei Soare