Weekly Report - Evolution Account Management

Hey Folks :)

I enjoyed reading your reports and wish you guys good luck with either your project or your exams.

I didn't write a mail yet, because I waited for Daniel to bug me ;-) Just kidding. I've been busy and I guess I will be every monday and tuesday. So expect my reports to be the latest ;-) As I don't have a blog, you should not be able to see that report on p.g.o (yet). I'm working on that.

My project is about renewing the account management with Evolution. That means to have a nice API and nice widgets.

After negotiating with my mentor, I started off with the widget part. I implemented some widgets in Glade which reflect the current email accounts. I have a screenshot here http://muelli.cryptobitch.de/accounts.png

To have that nicely integrated in the GNOME Desktop, a control-center-applet would be good and in order to realize a capplet, I read http://developer.gnome.org/arch/desktop/capplets.html and a lot of googled stuff, but I couldn't make anything out of it. So I checked current implementations (i.e. ubuntus displayconfig-gtk) and it seems simple, because it's a normal programs which just has a special .desktop file. It seems, as it has to contain "Categories=GNOME;GTK;Settings;X-GNOME-PersonalSettings;" in order to be visible in gnome-control-center.

But I can't make my application appear in gnome-control-center without copying the .desktop file to /usr/share/applications/. I've tried to set XDG_DATA_HOME, XDG_CONFIG_HOME and even XDG_DATA_DIRS and XDG_CONFIG_DIRS to a directory which contains the .desktop file, but it doesn't work. Does anybody have a hint?

At the end of last week, I've been to the LinuxTag which was a very nice event. I enjoyed it very much to meet smart people and chit-chat about every topic under the sun.

Thanks for your attention, I'll go on coding. Right now, you can do it at night only, as we have that bright thing in the air which makes the air so hot.

Good luck folks, see ya next week :)
  Tobias