Re: Progress Report - Pascal Schoenhardt - XRandR Display Configuration

Hi,

Le lundi 07 mai 2007, à 14:09 +0100, Pascal Schoenhardt a écrit :
> Here it is:
>
> So, progress. Well, I'm learning a lot, but I haven't really coded
> anything yet. The more I read into this project, the more I realize it
> will probably be a lot harder than I would have thought. While it's
> not too difficult in principle, there are lots of issues and minor
> details that need attention.
>
> I've been in contact with Sebastian Heinlein, who has previously
> started on a GTK display configuration applet written in Python
> [https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DisplayConfigGTK]. His project is quite
> similar to mine, so in order to avoid duplicate efforts, we will
> probably be working together.

Keep in mind that as part of SoC, you're more or less supposed to work
alone. Basic patches from other people are okay, but working with
someone else on one thing might not be the best option. (I didn't read
again the SoC rules, though, so look at them again just to be sure)

[...]

> - GTK is RandR aware. However, that needs to be updated to support the
> new features of 1.2. So, if GTK supports RandR 1.2, and there is a
> PyGTK package, will I have access to RandR 1.2 functionality through
> PyGTK, rather than needing to use PyRandR?

I don't think GTK+ supports RandR 1.2 right now. This is probably
something you could work on as part of SoC. Also, making the core GNOME
desktop work with new RandR would be great (nautilus, gnome-panel,
metacity). Maybe it doesn't involve a lot of work, or maybe it's a huge
amount of work: I don't know :-)

I can't wait for my desktop to just work with new RandR 1.2 :-)

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.