Re: Progress Report - Pascal Schoenhardt - XRandR Display Configuration

On Thu, 10 May 2007 09:36:33 +0100, "Pascal Schoenhardt" <stoanhart gmail com>
said:

<snip>
> Another case problem, which was brought up during Keith Packards demo of
> RandR1.2 and Akademy, was that the projector mounted on the ceiling went
> through some sort of switching panel before it connected to his laptop. This
> panel did not pass on the EDID information. But I suppose in that case, we
> couldn't determine the make/model of the display anyways, so having a
> database built up from inf files would be quite useless...

Why would it be useless? Granted, it wouldn't make it possible to do
auto-configuration for the monitor, but being able to select the monitor type
manually is -- at least IMO -- a big win over having to enter the refresh
rates (or even *shudder* modelines) by hand.