Gnome Scan Final Report 2007

Hi everybody,

I end this SoC with printing in Flegita. The overall work is far from
finished. I'll be glad to continue the work. I wish to produce a stable
and fulfeatured release (0.6) for this winter.

This summer, Gnome Scan has been completely rewritten. The design is
more modular and allow full SANE support. The SANE backend is less tight
with Gnome Scan (in the hope to get SANE 2 one time). The SANE support
is wider and less buggy. Especially, it expose all backend feature. Only
well known options are encapsulated in higher level option allowing to
build simpler UI.

Gnome Scan now uses Gegl instead of GdkPixbuf. This is a very good news
for both project. Gnome Scan in AbiWord uses OCRopus. This is very good
news for Abiword and OCRopus. OCRopus needs to be used by external
project.

This summer, i discover another domain for development : OCR. I won't
work directly on OCR, but i'm pretty sure i will develop an API for
developer and UI for users. Since OCR and scanning are very tight
together, that's up to me to launch this project.

There is some lame for this summer of code for Gnome Scan : i didn't
rewrote a few of Gnome Scan 0.4.1 features. But hey, i didn't mean to
finish Gnome Scan for this summer ;). I'm long to get Gnome Scan ready
for Gnome inclusion.

This summer was very intensive at all. I started working on Gnome Scan
NG on March. This summer was full of contact with rocking developers
from various project. I wish to attend GUADEC 2008 :).

Kind Regards,
�ienne.
--
E Ultre�!