[PiTiVi] Final Progress Report

My last task was to be implementing project load/save support. Well, I haven't quite finished it. I spent too much time writing design documents, and not enough time coding/testing. After returning from GUADEC, I made some rapid initial progress on the application logic. But when I turned my attention to the UI, things began to get hairy. I ended up abandoning that project, so I could concentrate on the back end. This also proved to be hairy, because Edward wanted a pluggable back end that used a format-agnostic intermediate data type.

At the crucial juncture, Edward went incommunicado, so I was left to speculate about how this intermediate format was supposed to work. I tinkered around with a couple false starts. Edward returned yesterday, and so I'm just now beginning to make real progress on the saving back end. This is something of a disappointment, as I have spent a lot of time on code which is not commit-worthy. I am not sure where to go from here. I don't think either of us saw the end of the program deadline was so close.

I plan to continue to work on this project, though my efforts will have to be scaled back, to make room for school. Some features I would ultimately like to see are editing widgets like "jog/shuttle wheels," gstreamer effects plugins that use the GPU for processing, and maybe a plugin for editing and authoring stereoscopic 3d video. But for now, there's still a long way to go on the core feature set.