Re: [gnome-slackware] Charmaps and slackware

On 13 Mar 2004 13:30:12 +0100
Jean Bréfort <jean brefort ac-dijon fr> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I use a slack-9.1 and I would like to access greek letters in gnome
> documents. Unfortunately, most are not accessible. I did not encounter
> this problem with other distribs, and the same characters are
> perfectly usable in KDE even on a slackware. I could not find what
> prevents the use of all the existing characters in gnome there. Any
> idea?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Jean Bréfort

Same problem here.
It seems that true type fonts installed with Slackware doesn't include
unicode chars. Download a font with support for unicode from internet or
grab it from another distribution, then put it in:
/usr/X11R6/lib/fonts/TTF.
Pay attention that the line:
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/"
is in Section "Files" of your /etc/X11/XF86Config and then run as root:
/usr/X11R6/bin/mkfontscale /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/
/usr/X11R6/bin/mkfontdir /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/
/usr/X11R6/bin/mkfontdir -e /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/encodings
On my Slackware 10 this solved the problem.

PS: the new font must be readable by everyone (chmod o+r filename)

--
Luca