[gnome-slackware]Gnome 2.2 sound problem

	I am running Gnome 2.2, with the latest Dropline
release. I can invoke the gnome-sound-properties
application, and get the "Sound preferences" window
all right. If I change
to the "Sound Events" tab I can see a list of
available sound events, and
the sound files associated with the different events.

	The problem: If I select some event and then click on
the "Play" button I
don't get any sound. Anybody can suggest how can I get
sound? Here is a
list of possibilities already considered:

	1) The sound board works - I can play sounds from the
command line with
no problem.

	2) The ESD daemon is up and running.

	3) The "Enable sound server startup" and "Sounds for
events" buttons are
ticked in the "General".

	4) The sound files all live under /usr/share/sounds,
and subdirectories,
which is where my Gnome installation expects them to
be.

	5) Clicking on the "Play" button results in traces or
error messages
neither in the output of gnome-sound-properties nor in
any other log file
that I can think of.