[gnome-slackware]ALSA and Gnome

I haven't been able to compile a kernel that avoids the shambles of ALSA and so sound events under Gnome don't work. I guess a silent machine is a more sensible model anyway but it does bother me that I can't, if I were to want to, have sound events because of the ALSA-shambles. What a (explitive) stupid concept...

Of course, sound works everywhere otherwise -- as, responsibly, the sound and multimedia programs I tend to use have not been so deeply infected by the ALSA virus that I can't get around them by simply directing output to a sound device. I think it's a terrible shame that the beauty of the Unix concept is being damaged by the introduction of what seems to be unnecessary and incompetently realized intervening layer of software. We don't need ALSA if we can direct to sound devices and we can!... or always could in the past. That ALSA-think intervenes into such a tidy concept actually disgusts me.

--
Best regards,