Question relating gnome desktop background.

Greetings,

My name is hylke and I'm new to this mailing list and lots of other things in general.

I would like to know whether it is possible to alter the gnome desktop backgrounds in such a way that it can make use of gif files for an animated background wallpaper. I've heard that the gnome dekstop backgrounds are a feature of Mutter if I'm not mistaken.

I've tried setting this up manually without taking the window manager into account using mpv --wid=0 which should play a file as video on the x root window. This could be a gif aswell.

I'm not entirely sure how the dekstop backgrounds of gnome are displayed or whether they are using the x root window or not, but I do know that mpv can't use the x root window to display a animated gif as wallpaper for some apparent reason.

Are there any plans on supporting such a feature in the near future?
If not, can someone point me to some documentation on the subject matter for gnome development?
I'd very much like to see this feature coming to gnome. And if possible help contribute building it in any way possible.
I'm entirely new to gnome development so I would have to learn a lot I guess. But I'm willing to learn if that means I can contribute.

Please let me know what your thoughts are and whether you think this would be a good idea?

Yours truely,
Hylke
Open Tracking