Re: Apply filter effect to windows

On 04/18/2018 03:59 PM, Alessandro Re wrote:
The Night Mode in GNOME shell is performing something similar to what I have in mind, although it is apparently working on the entire screen, and not single windows, but this is still Ok for my use cases, as long as it is possible to read and modify the screen.

Temperature/gamma transforms are usually done using calibration tables as part of scan-out (which is why they work on the composited frame).

What you're asking for is transforms as part of the (pre/post)-composite phase.

There is not currently API to control the effects pipeline (although I hear that kwin this) and I'd certainly like a way for some of this in GNOME Builder.

Although I'd prefer to see it as a wayland protocol to enable "categories" of filters on a region of a window rather than any sort of code/shader upload into the compositor.

-- Christian