Re: GSoC student introduction

Hi Armin -

Thanks for being interested in Mutter and putting forward this proposal!

One thing you need to realize is that this is a really hard development task. Without really working through
the details, my guess is that getting GNOME to the point where it can start without an Xwayland server
running is 3-6 months of full time work for an experienced GNOME Shell developer - someone who has been
working on this code for years.

There are several major challenges:

 1. The GTK+ backend challenge. Mutter and GNOME Shell use various GTK+ APIs. They use the X11 backend of
GTK+ - which requires an X connection. Using the Wayland backend to GTK+ would make no sense. So you'd either
have to remove all usage of GTK+ or add some sort of custom GNOME-private backend to GTK+.
 2. The code reorganization challenge. You'll simply need to move a lot of stuff around.
 3. Lots of different types of residual X usage within Mutter, GNOME Shell and GNOME more broadly that need
to be addressed one by one

I think that a successful SOC project could be done around this subject, but you need to be pretty realistic
about what you can accomplish - you should think of the outputs being:

 A) Documentation of the challenges
 B) Documentation of possible approaches to each challenge, what works and what doesn't work
 C) A successful prototype that shows Mutter starting up.

I would consider having a branch of Mutter code that is ready to be merged very much a stretch goal.

I like that you are focusing initially on just Mutter - while there are additional challenges within GNOME
Shell and the GNOME Desktop environment that will affect how work on Mutter is done starting with just Mutter
definitely keeps things more doable.

You'll also need to line up a possible mentor - probably one of Florian, Jonas, Rui, or Carlos Garnacho (or
Jasper, but he doesn't have much time for Mutter work these days.)

- Owen