Re: multiple top bars

I have done everything you asked.

Please do the following. Yes, it may take some elapsed time.
Do install Fedora 26  (or 25) onto a btrfs system
Download Taskbar  by Zyper extension from Gnome Extensions
By default, it goes to $HOME/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions.

See if you can do a firefox or other installation onto btrfs.
Crash  Crash, Crash, C'est l'enfer.   I spent hours trying different settings.

If you get the extension to work, log out and log back in once or twice or reboot

If you have room on the drive, create a ext4 partition which is a mirror of /home
adjust the fstab to point to that partition.

With EXT4, zero problems, everything works.

And when the extension fails, check the logon gear. It might have jumped from Gnome or Gnome.xorg, to some other non existant distribution

I am willing to test with you or other person.   If you fix up gnome-shell with btrfs, it will certainly fix up other problems with later releasess of gnome-shell.

I believe that there is no range limit checking for an extension or possibly a memory over-allocation/under-allocation problem

Regards

 Leslie
Leslie Satenstein
Montréal Québec, Canada

Why am I using btrfs.  Google "best file system to use with SSD hardware"