trouble with lock screen

Hi, I use Gnome with Fedora 23. I'm having a lot of trouble with the
lock screen. I assume gnome-shell is the correct component to ask
about?

I'm running Gnome using X, not Wayland.

The problem is that sometimes, after the screen locks, it doesn't
respond to mouse clicks or key strokes. The "shield" layer won't go
away no matter where I click or what key I press. It doesn't show a
place to type a password. It displays a clock, but it's frozen and
doesn't update. There are a couple of icons in the upper right corner,
but they don't respond to the mouse or any keys.

This is obviously very frustrating and I can't use Gnome if this continues.

I can use Ctl+Alt+F3 to switch to another console, log in as root, and
run systemctl restart gdm. Then when gdm resets, I can log in again,
and it behaves normally for a while until the lock screen gets jammed
again.

I have three machines running Fedora 23, and this problem only affects
one of them. The monitor on this machine is a touch screen. I also use
a bluetooth keyboard that switches itself off after a while to save
the battery. One of these could be triggering this bug.

I'm not seeing anything helpful from dmesg, journalctl, or ~/.xsession-errors.

What else can I do to track down what's going wrong?

-- Garrett Mitchener