Re: is shell extension version number in metadata.json can be a string?

Hello:

The version in the metadata.json is managed by the ego website.

See https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GnomeShell/Extensions

The version is not required when uploading an extension to the website.
The version is determined when an extension is uploaded.  The version is
calculated by the increment of the version of the last upload of the extension.
When a user visits the website with a compatible browser a check of each
installed extension is performed.  If a newer version compatible with the
user's shell version is available the extension is flagged on the installed
extensions page.  If the user has a string in the version field of the
metadata.json the check does not work.

My make files replace the date and the git commit tag at the end of the
extension's README.txt when the zip file is created.  That seems to be
the information you want to know as the zip file is used to install
the extension.

Regards,
Norman