Having a hard time programming shell extensions

Hi Shell List,

recently I find myself having a hard time programming extensions for the gnome-shell. Most of the things I want to do, I have no idea how to start (or if it is possible with a sensible amount of work).

For the things I currently want to do with some extensions I would need to do OAuth2 and xml-Parsing. I have problems finding any documentation on how to do anything. We no longer even have an API-Browser. The linked browser on developer.gnome.org (http://docs.ptomato.name:9292/) no longer works.

Now also the Vala documentation at http://references.valadoc.org/ is offline.

I think the shell and shell-extensions is one of the first contact points for users that want to add functionality to their gnome experience and the barriers for that are just too high.

The lack of examples I can live with but the lack of API documentation for other languages than C makes it really hard for non-C-people like me to do anything.

How can we improve the experience for users on the gjs/shell-front?

Mario