Re: Meaning of "label-actor" property

On 23.09.2015 13:27, Florian Müllner wrote:
On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 11:31 AM, Jay Strict <jay strict posteo de> wrote:
I have two questions regarding the "label-actor" property of StWidget.

The general question is:
What is this property used for? Why do you need it and how is it
working? The documentation states "the label that identifies widget",
but that does not explain it.

It points accessibility tools like screen readers to a label whose
text can be used to represent (e.g. read out) the focused widget. Take
for instance a button widget with a "Save" label inside - without an
accessible name or label actor, orca will read the button as "push
button", which obviously isn't too helpful (in particular if there are
multiple "push buttons"); setting the button's :label-actor property
to the label child will result in a much more helpful "save push
button".

I see. Thank you for pointing it out in such details.
May I suggest adding this explanation to the API documentation of St?

The more specific question is:
In the file `gnome-shell/js/ui/popupMenu.js`, this property is set in
every MenuItem that owns a widget of type St.Label with the line

this.actor.label_actor = this.label

But not in `PopupImageMenuItem`. The label-actor property is not set
there. Is this by intention or is this a bug?

A bug. Not an overly serious one considering that we don't use image
menu items anywhere, but extensions of course might, so we should
still fix it - would you like to prepare a patch so you get the proper
credit for spotting it?

I am not eager to take credit for spotting it. If you don't mind, then I
would prefer to let you fix it. This would be faster than me digging
into this.

Thanks
Jay