"force quit" dialog popping up during certain activities

I'm running gnome shell on Ubuntu and have seen the "force quit"/wait dialog popping up when doing certain things and is especially problematic when I'm playing the latest version of DOTA 2, which I imagine does weird things with processes.  I have to hit the "wait" button to get the game working.  The tricky thing though is this dialog is hidden below the OpenGL rendering so I have to try clicking on the button.  I didn't even know this dialog was popping up until I recorded a video of my experience (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifjfVKjn1Pw).  Keep in mind while you can see the dialog in the video, I can't on my screen.  I can only see it in the recording.

I've seen other people who have had this problem before in gnome shell especially running eclipse, but this is especially problematic for me because I can't actually see the dialog, but can click on it.

I'm going to start investigating what criteria brings this dialog up, but is there some way I disable this dialog?