VirtualBox and keyboard grabs

Hello All,

This is a question related to running VirtualBox on a host system with GNOME Shell (it actually applies to Metacity and Unity too). Basically our problem is that when we do a full keyboard grab, it is not possible to drag windows with GNOME Shell (I haven't checked very recently, but I don't think it has changed in the meantime). I do understand why that happens. We have worked around this since time immemorial by using XGrabKey() instead of XGrabKeyboard() except when we are in full-screen mode. I was wondering though, if anyone had a better idea as to how to solve it. Remmina does it by dropping grabs when the mouse pointer leaves its window, which we did not really consider an improvement on what we have now, since it is potentially confusing for non-focus-follows-mouse sorts of people.

Any thoughts welcome, and if no one has any good solution thanks anyway.

Regards,

Michael
--
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG   Michael Thayer
Werkstrasse 24                     VirtualBox engineering

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG
Hauptverwaltung: Riesstraße 25, D-80992 München

Hertogswetering 163/167, 3543 AS Utrecht, Niederlande Handelsregister der Handelskammer Midden-Niederlande, Nr. 30143697
Geschäftsführer: Alexander van der Ven, Astrid Kepper, Val Maher