RE: gnome-shell-list Digest, Vol 75, Issue 5

Sent: Saturday, 13 December, 2014 17:37
To: gnome-shell-list gnome org
Subject: gnome-session-3.14.0 will not start

gnome-session1[16546]: WARNING: Application 'gnome-shell.desktop'
failed
to register before timeout

It would be good if somebody would reply, even if it is to say "this
is the wrong mailing list you fool"

Merry Christmas :(

Likely people on vacation.  How about filling a bug or coming on irc?

Bump

hi there,
its better to supply more information when asking for help,
e.g. make and model of your computer, graphics card, distro (ubuntu or arch)
checking with your distro forums is a good place to start, also  http://askubuntu.com/ has alot of
information.
google is also very helpful
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbo=1&tbs=qdr:y&q=gnome-session1%5B16546%5D%3A+WARNING%3A+Application+%>
 27gnome-shell.desktop%27+%3E+%3E+%3E+failed+%3E+%3E+to+register+before+timeout

I'd already googled extensively on this error - all the hits I could find mention other errors in addition to
the "Application 'gnome-shell.desktop' failed to register before timeout" (i.e. gnome-settings-daemon failed
to register, libblah.so missing, etc).

Since the only error I have is the gnome-shell one, it would tend to suggest that my problem is a runtime dep
of gnome-shell, but what?

FWIW - Dell Latitude E7240, Intel HD4600 graphics, Tinycorelinux, x86_64 - other details are in the first
post and attached and cut & pasted error logs in subsequent posts.

I'm guessing dbus-monitor might help, but what to look for?