Volume and brightness OSD gone.

Hi,

On one of my machines I updated from 13.10 to 14.04 without problems
except for one thing: Volume and brightness OSD is gone. They used to
pop up in the middle of the screen, but now there's nothing. The
controls still work, volume and brightness is being changed and I can
see the change in the volume control icon top right in the tray, but OSD
is gone. I also tried to create a new account and there OSD works, so
it's something in my existing account preventing it from working. Any
idea how I can enable it again?

--
//Christian