please reduce vertical space by adding two Unity features

I would love to start using GNOME-Shell on Arch-Linux but keep getting drawn back to Ubuntu with Unity because of the efficient use of space that Unity offers.

Can GNOME-Shell please adopt two features:

1) merge titlebars into the top-bar when windows are maximized.

2) adopt global menus or Ubuntu's upcoming LIM app menus.

These two features are awesome and give users lots of extra space. Currently, GNOME wastes so much space I drift away from it. But I would definitely switch if GNOME got these two features.