RE: No application or applet icons in gmome-shell-3.10.3

On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 7:02 AM, John Frankish <j-frankish slb com> wrote:
I'm using gnome-shell on a simple linux system having compiling
the various components from source.

Whilst things seem to work well in the "activities view", I do
not get any application icons on the desktop nor applet icons
in the top panel.

I can use nautilus to navigate to /usr/local/share/applications
and launch various gnome apps by double-clicking on the
*desktop files, so things seem to be in order, but I cannot
figure out why there are no application icons on the desktop.

Note that I've enabled desktop icons using dconf-editor, but
this does not change anything - any trouble-shooting
suggestions would be welcome.

It might make it easier to troubleshoot if somebody could help me out with
the following:

Are you sure that it is failing to find the desktop files and doesn't just fail to
render the app view?
We use a GLSL effect there. If the shader fails to compile or your driver claims
to not support GLSL we simply do not use it but maybe you are running a
craptastic driver that compiles the shader and then renders nothing?

Which video card and gpu driver are you using?

I'm using intel hd3000 graphics with the xf86-video-intel-2.21.15/MesaLib-9.2.2 drivers

Note that if I type a letter (it doesn't seem to matter which letter) into the search box at the top, I see
the icons for "backgrounds", "keyboard" and one other panel from gnome-control-center, but nothing else -
this would seem to indicate that the graphics side of things is working?