Re: [patch] Lock screen before suspend to prevent information leak

On Mon, 2013-05-20 at 17:46 +0200, Giovanni Campagna wrote:
2013/4/7 Roland Lezuo <roland lezuo chello at>:
Hi,

the problem: after a resume from suspend for a short period of time the
content of the desktop appears on the screen before the lock screen is
activated (System Settings -> Brightness & Lock -> Require password ...
is activated).

This is not only visually annoying but may also leak information.

On my system the following trivial patch solves the problem.
(Does not test whether screen should be lock at all, though)

Hi Roland

Thank you for your patch.
Can we know what version, and what configuration (ie.
upower/ConsoleKit or logind) is this patch developed against?
In 3.8 under systemd, the shell installs a delay inhibitor, so suspend
does not happen until the screen is locked.

This is gnome-shell 3.8.2 on Ubuntu 13.04 with gnome3-ppa.
(upower 0.9.2, consolekti 0.4.5 - ubuntu packages)

As Igal Alkon pointed out this issue seems to manifest on different
systems as well, so regardless of the delay inhibitor it coudl be a good
idea to lock the screen as it can't hurt.

best regards
Roland