Re: alt-tab switch application / workspace

On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 5:06 PM, Adam Tauno Williams
<awilliam whitemice org> wrote:
On Fri, 2013-05-24 at 15:37 +0200, Donato Marrazzo wrote:
In 3.8 the Alt-tab is "workspace insensitive":
Is there a way to replace with the previous behavior?

No. We decided that grouping by *both* applications and workspaces at
the same time was too confusing and unexpected (as a workspace can
contain more than one application, and an application can have windows
on more than one workspace - there's no actual hierarchy there, so you
either end up fuzzing the concept of workspaces (as we did in previous
versions) or applications (e.g. pretend that application windows on
different workspaces belong to different applications)).

We did add a new window switcher though, which behaves more like the
old metacity alt-tab switcher (e.g. it does not group by
applications). It may either show windows from all workspaces or only
from the current one.

gsettings set org.gnome.shell.window-switcher current-workspace-only
true

?

I don't know if that is operational or not

It is, but note that it refers to the aforementioned window switcher,
not the (default) application switcher. The keybinding does show up in
Settings (Settings->Keyboard->Navigation->Switch windows), but
unfortunately there is a bug when you try to reassign <Alt>Tab to it
(gnome-control-center dealing poorly with
multiple-shortcuts-per-action); the panel will work as expected if you
unset the switch-applications key manually first:

  gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.wm.keybindings switch-applications '[]'