Re: Message Tray design is intrusive

On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 11:31 AM, Summers Pittman <secondsun gmail com> wrote:
On 05/12/2013 10:39 AM, Rahul Jain wrote:
Hello. This is my first post here as a Shell user. I think the recent design of the message tray is very intrusive. Even in Windows 8, I admire their utilization of hot corners in a manner that is non-intrusive to the work that you are doing. For example, top-right hot corner triggers control icons in the side, when you mouse over the icons, they get highlighted, but nothing gets activated until you actually specify a mouse click. It does not disable your desktop! It does not steal focus from your applications either. However, the message tray in Gnome disables your entire desktop. Accidentally bringing it up is common also, even with pressure sensitivity. And it intrudes upon your work. In a desktop, it is hard to follow your mouse and be extremely careful abut it's placement. The Activities corner is okay since you don't really work near there. But you have to be extremely careful with the mouse, because if you leave it for two seconds to the bottom edge, it takes away app focus and disables your desktop completely. This design is dysfunctional. You can't expect your users to watch their mouse vigilantly every second. I suggest a less intrusive design that does not disable your desktop or take away focus at all, the early versions of Gnome Shell were MUCH better in respect to the message tray behaviour. I would like to hear the opinions of other users also, and if people agree, maybe a bug could be filed by someone. Thanks.

Rahul J

A better workaround the the one I PMed you with is running 'Main.messageTray._checkTrayDwell = function() {}' in Looking Glass.

The utility of the "check tray dwell" depends on if you have the new pressure sensitivity feature available. Are you running GNOME 3.8 or Ubuntu?