Gnome shell 3.8.2: can't activate shell bar entries with touchscreen

Hi,

Hopefully this is not a wrong forum for this and hopefully this is not something too obvious - I've trie to google for several times, but didn't find anything except the transient X touch-click issue which I've gotten taken care of by a patched X server.

I started using gnome 3 after reading that there is process on the way to have touchscreen support. The design does look like it'll be good with touch screen, but there's a big practical problem at the moment. For some reason gnome-shell doesn't react in any way when I click on the icons (e.g. activity, wlan, bluetooth, logout) on gnome shell top bar. With Unity or any program running on top of gnome 3 I don't have a problem: e.g. firefox and other programs work fine with touchscreen click, so it doesn't seem to be a generic touchscreen click. Also with the ordinary mouse things work as expected.

I wonder if it is perhaps some kind of setting - or if it's a bug, I'm willing to try newer versions of gnome shell and/or patches, or maybe take a go at fixing it myself.

The hardware is laptop/tablet hybrid with detachable tablet part. I'm used to touchscreen UI on Android but it's new to me on daily use on a laptop, but it does seem it could be quite useful for some tasks even in laptop mode, and for detached tablet use it's a most.

Gnom shell version: 3.8.2-1ubuntu2~raring2 from ubuntu-ppa

Hardware: asus transformer book tx300 (4005)

Jyrki